Nov 19, 2007

Justice, anyone?

Additionally, I've been thinking alot lately about justice, loyalty, judgment, and betrayal. I would consider myself a very loyal person. I hope my friends, family, and whoever else who reads this and knows me agrees. And it frustrates me when people betray me. I feel betrayed frequently because I help so much and not only do I get nothing for it, but my friends get 'stolen.' Now I use that word loosely, but still let me explain. I have done alot whilst in Scotland for myself and an associate from the same university. We agreed in March that we would room together and when we arrived, I feel as though i took him under my wing and taught him the nuances of international living (as he had never been outside the country by himself) and I found us a place to live, so that we could live together, as we had agreed. If we had been willing to separate, we would probably both be better off currently, but true to our word, we found a flat-share.

Whilst we were spending so much time together, wandering around from one side of Edinburgh to another, this guy decides that I make him uncomfortable and therefore he doesn't like to be around me, and that we can't hang out with the same people - therefore, his friends CANNOT be my friends, because if they're hanging out with him, they can't equally be hanging out with me, by his choice. Additionally, I faithfully called him for the first two or three months (so until very recently) whenever I was going somewhere to see if he would like to tag along, which he frequently did. I never got a return call. I never got so much as an invite from him. To me, this constitutes a betrayal.

Had I not been loyal, I would be living somewhere other than a dumpy shared bedroom with no internet or t.v. Had I not been loyal, he never would have met my friends to steal them from me. This just frustrates me so much because who is he to take my friends? Granted, they're obviously not my friends if he can steal them away - but i progress to quickly. Let me give you another example of betrayal: i was interested in a girl from our church when we first moved her and he knew it. One night, I called him, and he was on a date with her. No honor. He had not followed the rules of the bro-code and asked, he just did. What's worse, is that he took all her friends, who up til then had been our mutual friends (but shortly before this happened he decided not hang out with me any longer). Recently, he completed shredding her heart into a couple dozen peices and lost all of his friends (as they were primarily her friends), so he finds it now necessary to find new friends. And unlike me, he has not made friends with the people he works with, so his only pool is the one we swim in together - at church. Now, he doesn't even know the names of most of these people because he's been so preoccupied with his former friends. And he's taking them!

This frustrates me because who is he? He's a nerd. He loves Sci-fi and anime. He's a fickle and goofy guy. And he wins these people over. He betrays me. He's not my friend. And then, in our flat, he acts as though he is. So how do judgement and justice fit into this? Jesus said, "Judge ye not unrighteously." And unfortunately, most people of my religion seem to think that means that they need to judge somebody's righteousness. I strongly disagree. I think Jesus meant that he wanted us to see who people really are. I've noticed lately that I don't get along with alot of people inside my religion - it is mostly self-imposed isolation, yes - but its because I think they judge me as unrighteous. Why? Because I hang out in pubs. I stay out late. These aren't sins if I'm not sinning. So these people judge me UNrighteously, because they do not know the whole situation. Their misconceptions can be grossly incorrect. I think my sense of adventure, my non-holistic view of other people makes them see me as different. And of course, we don't like anything different.

So there needs to be justice, because i have been betrayed for my loyalty and judged wrongly for what I do. Unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can do anything about it, but everything has its opposite. There must always be justice. If anyone has any advice for justice, just make a comment with it. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. First of all I love that you used the word whilst. It's one of my favorite words. Second, I totally understand how you feel about being betrayed. I have been betrayed by guy friends, roommates and even best friends. People that I trusted. People that I felt comfortable with enough to let my guard down. The worst betrayers are the ones who knew about the previous betrayers and then proceeded to repeat their offenses. I no longer speak to these people and would not speak to them should our paths cross. Mostly because I would say something horrible that I would later have to repent of. I could go on quite a rant on this topic but I will refrain. Know that you aren't alone. :-) Those people will get what they deserve in the end.

    ReplyDelete